My new project "Omnibus 319 mit offenes verdeck"
In November I started with the full restoration of a 1958 Mercedes O319.
As I want to do the restoration total and original as possible I will give you some storys in this Forum. I'm sorry that I will do the most in the English language. I can speak German... but I can't write it.
First I started with taken this bus apart. I stripped it as far as possible.
I made 2 frames with wheels to put the chassis and body on. See enclosed pictures.
During wintertime ,and when we had a nice sunny day, I rented a sand blasting machine. (price about 200 euros)
It took about 6 hours to have the frame and underneath of the body done.
As you can see on the pictures the chassis and body are very sound.
The places around the third door needed to be redone. I made a complete new box in stainless steel. There is no difference with the original one .(price about 400 euros)
True this forum I found the original paint as was used . The gray RAL 7044. I painted it completely after using a product from Wurth to prevend rust. It has some fosfor in it . It looks like water but it will be black in color when it is dry.
In the meantime I ordered by Daimler Chrysler new parts for the rear axle.
Both the bearings , metal brake lines from the left and right rear wheel, both the rear brake cylinders and the rubber seals to close the inside from the rear axle. Also the paper seals and rubber hoses are still available by Mercedes. (price for these parts about 500 euros) As you can see I also sandblasted the rear axle first before total reconditioning of it.
Today I replaced the floor with new wood. I used the original wood as pattern to make the new as good as the old wood. I used betonplex with the thickness of 12 mm like the old wood. Today betonplex is used by the fabrication of concrete products to make the form . I bought 3 plates from 1.25 m by 2.5 m. It cost about 36 euros each plate of wood.
(look to the pictures)
All the metal bars and plates , used to command the hand brake and the carburator are again galvanized like before. Cold galvanising in gold color like it was. Cold to be sure that the M6 and M8 trait is reusable.
Next week the body will go to the paintshop… Pictures later.